Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Am I Still in The Way?


God calls and you do not hear, for you are preoccupied with your own voice.

-A Course in Miracles


Most days I send out a thought for the day to my team at work and then I forward it on to a few others.  Well, back in late October I sent out this quote and it just made me stop and think for a moment.  This one didn’t cause me to have a quick response or reaction, but it prompted me to stop and just think.  It didn’t make me think of anyone else – just me.  As much as I love God and try to be obedient to His leading – I have to ask myself, how much of my own voice am I still relying on?  How much of my own logic am I still relying on?  How many times do I tell myself, “well the last time this happened, that happened?”

When I listen to my own voice, some of the following things most likely happen:


Ø  I am easily angered.

Ø  I am easily offended.

Ø  I complain.

Ø  I dwell on the negative.

Ø  I have a back up plan.

Ø  I consult others before I consult God.

Ø  I vent to others before I pray.

Ø  Fear easily grips me.


John 10:27 – 30…”My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand. I and my Father are one.” 


Jeremiah 29:11 – 13…”For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.” 


If I’ve been preoccupied with my own voice, how much have I missed?  Whose life didn’t I touch because I didn’t hear God?  What prayer didn’t I pray?  What offering didn’t I give? What difficult situation was extended because I didn’t hear?  How many times did I disappoint God?  How many excuses have I made?

1 comment:

  1. Wow; thought provoking post. I must really do a self-evaluation!

    ReplyDelete