Saturday, October 18, 2014

I'm Losing Control...

As I enter into this next phase of my life, I'm facing the realization that I'm losing control - and it's a little scary!  Today as we drove out of town, I relinquished my driving privileges and as a method of calming my nerves about it, I brought along a magazine to read.  Lol!  It didn't help as much as I anticipated.   I constantly found myself looking and checking the mirrors or secretly glancing over at the speedometer.  Since I wasn't in the driver's seat, I would at least attempt to control the radio or the temperature in the car.  

What I found was what should have been a nice, relaxing 2 hour ride, turned into an intense unnecessary over alerted, non-enjoyable experience!

WHY?! The answer was simple - I was fighting the fact that I wasn't in control; I wasn't in the driver's seat.    My mind began to wonder and I landed on the thought that if I can't lose control of a 2 hour car ride and be okay with not being the driver, then what else am I going to fight?  Hhmmm....

Losing control is not always a bad thing.  Then I glanced in the back seat and noticed that my mom (who is terrified of riding in cars), was enjoying a nice nap.  I was instantaneously envious.  After a few moments, I chuckled to myself and realized that this car ride could be related to my encounters with God.  He's a much more skilled driver than I am and He knows exactly what's ahead and around the next curve, but because I can't control the speed and change lanes as I would like - I find myself constantly over alerted and uncomfortable.   

It's okay to lose control to the one who has the ultimate control.  So today as I prepare myself to relax on the drive home, I also willingly give control back to God and take a restful nap.  

2 comments:

  1. My Pastor says we should "sit back & enjoy the ride" just as we did when we were kids. ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, and a very poignant example. I definitely can use some help in learning how to relinquish control of my life. Jesus take the wheel! Literally.

    ReplyDelete