Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Self Actualization

During a conversation with a friend the other day, the term self actualization came to mind, when I attempted to describe what I thought I had personally accomplished in 2012.  What I was referring to was how I felt that my perceptions with regards to myself in relation to others had matured.  How I had learned to be intentionally cognizant of my interactions with others.  To understand why I responded or reacted to certain situations the way that I did.  How I tried to remain conscientious of the words that I spoke, in making sure that I was again intentional with their uses.

If you've ever read anything about Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, you may have heard this term before.  In an article by Kendra Cherry, she summed up some of the characteristics of Self Actualized people that I'd like to share with you.
(http://psychology.about.com/od/theoriesofpersonality/a/hierarchyneeds_2.htm)
  • Acceptance and Realism: Self-actualized people have realistic perceptions of themselves, others and the world around them.
  • Problem-centering: Self-actualized individuals are concerned with solving problems outside of themselves, including helping others and finding solutions to problems in the external world.
  • Spontaneity: Self-actualized people are spontaneous in their internal thoughts and outward behavior. While they can conform to rules and social expectations, they also tend to be open and unconventional.
  • Autonomy and Solitude: Another characteristic of self-actualized people is the need for independence and privacy. While they enjoy the company of others, these individuals need time to focus on developing their own individual potential.
  • Continued Freshness of Appreciation: Self-actualized people tend to view the world with a continual sense of appreciation, wonder and awe. Even simple experiences continue to be a source of inspiration and pleasure.
Learn yourself; understand yourself; realize your full potential because in doing so you'll be better able to help someone else reach their potential in life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment