Monday, September 17, 2012

"Church-ianity"

I heard Iyanla Vanzant use the term "churchianity" during an airing of Super Soul Sunday with Oprah Winfrey.  It made me laugh because of a topic I had been contemplating writing about.  I thought to call it Matters of the Heart II, but I like this better.

The scripture that I wanted to base my opinion on is Proverbs 21:3 (NIV) that says, "To do what is right and just is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice."  So many times we think we are doing something so right and so noble because we "sacrifice" our time and go to church or to bible study or to prayer meeting - but when we get home, are we doing what is right and just?  Lately I've been just paying attention to what's going on with a lot of people and what I see is a lot of jumping and shouting in church, but a lack of integrity and character on the outside.  So this scripture helps me to understand that just because you're taking time out to assemble yourself under the roof of a church, doesn't negate your obligation to live right and just.  God pays attention to you more than just on Sunday!  

Remember that we are to be doers of the Word and not just hearers.  

Other scriptures of interest:
Proverbs 15:8
Isaiah 1:11-17
Hosea 6:6
Micah 6:6-8
I Samuel 15:22
Jeremiah 7:21-23
Mark 12:33

No comments:

Post a Comment