Thursday, August 23, 2012

Hope vs. Faith

Hope - the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best; to feel that something desired may happen

Faith - confidence or trust in a person or thing; belief that is not based on proof; strong or unshakeable belief in something; complete confidence or trust in a person

Someone said to me this morning, “I think a lot of Christians are hopeful and not faithful…”  So, I had to stop and ponder that for a moment, which then led me to look up the definition of both words.  Is there truly a difference between the two words?  I looked up a few scriptures to try and find a true distinction, but the words seem so close in meaning.  However, the difference that I’m able to detect is that hope is based on feelings and faith is based on knowing.  When I’m sure of something and I have faith that it will happen, I say it with confidence.  When I’m not so sure, but hoping, I may not say it with as much confidence. 

Hab 2:4 Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.

Hebrews 11: 6…But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Romans 3: 28…Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Hebrews 10: 38… Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

Hebrews 11: 1… Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Psalm 31: 24…Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord.

Romans 8: 24-25…For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?  But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

Psalm 71: 14…But I will hope continually, and will yet praise thee more and more.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Faith is knowing that God can & will. Hope is, in a way, wishing thast something will happen. As my Pastor says, "You must know that you know God is in control, etc." Knowing that we know!! That's faith. :)

    Your post reminds me of a post to my blog as well:

    http://lisiplace.blogspot.com/2012/01/trust-faith.html

    ReplyDelete