Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Who has your ear?

Who do you talk to on a regular basis?  What do you most often discuss?  Is your conversation uplifting, encouraging and motivating? Or is it negative, full of doubt, gossip and unproductive chatter?  Often times I find myself reflecting back on conversations that I’ve had and there have been times when those conversations have influenced my thoughts or behavior.  Should they have?  Well, it all depends on whether that conversation was good or bad.  Regardless if you want to admit it or not, you develop an opinion of a person, that you may not know personally, based on what someone else has said to you about them.  You might watch them for a while to see if they’ll do what the other person said about them. 


Psalms 1:1 – “1Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.”
Have you ever repeated something that you didn’t hear personally?  I read something the other day that said, “You shouldn’t witness with your mouth what you didn’t see with your eyes!”  How simple, yet profound is that?!
Psalms 39:1 – “1I said, I will take heed to my ways that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me.”
What we need to understand is that you are known by your association and what you listen to can find its way into your heart.  After talking to certain people, you can be left with such a heavy burden on you.  Be careful to listen to the right people.  If you are not a gossip, then why do you talk to someone who gossips on a regular basis?  If you’re not a liar, then why would you talk to someone who lies? 
Amos 3:3 – “Can two walk together, except they be agreed?”
Who has your ear?

No comments:

Post a Comment