Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Let's Talk About It

I heard my pastor say once that “what you allow will continue.”  This helped me understand that I teach people how to treat me.  That treatment can be good or bad.  There is a difference with having patience with a person or showing some tolerance versus  allowing someone to be disrespectful to you and you not correcting them.  Keep in mind that we perceive things differently so what someone may consider to be a joke or harmless, could be taken as troublesome to another.

The key to this all is communication.  Don’t be afraid to talk to people and let them know how you feel.  I tell my team at work that I don’t know a problem exists if no one says anything to me.  I don’t read minds.  It’s not healthy to allow feelings to build up on the inside because one day you’ll explode and say things that you’ll regret.

Why do we sit back and allow others to make us feel uncomfortable and say nothing about it?  In the meantime they are perfectly fine with the situation and going on about their business.    Either that person is trying to annoy you on purpose or they have no idea that they did something to annoy you.  In order to find out their true intention – talk about it tactfully.  Especially as a Christian, we should be spiritually mature enough to talk things out.
Matthew 18:15 (NLT) - “If another believer sins against you, go privately and point out the offense..."

1 comment:

  1. > Wow...this is so true. Sometimes I try to chalk it up to not being petty but not speaking up at times will cause more damage than good.

    ReplyDelete